8/15/17

Rejoice As Senior Rings Arrive...A Lost & Found Story

As the Webmaster of my high school graduating class and the 'To Contact' via email person, I often receive inquiries from people searching for members of our class.  I also receive requests from other years graduates to become members of our close knit class who still get together regularly and stay in touch 52 years after our high school graduation. 

Our Website is the key to our connectivity.  After a few lessons on navigating the web, learning about email lists, how to log on, set up a Profile, and getting the Click HERE messages down, our 1965 HS Seniors/2017 Seniors Citizens are pretty darn 'Puter Savy'.  As a matter of fact, not only computer literate, but mobile phone websters as well. 

So in this day of Internet Information via Google and Social Media Galore, I was not surprised to receive this email from a completely unknown person via the Class Website 'To Contact' button.

I found a class ring from 1965. It has no name on it, except for "---" engraved on the inside of the ring. I would like to get the ring to it's owner. I can be reached at _____. Thank you

My first step was to go to our website roster and sure enough there was a person with the initials given in the email.  Contact with them was made, and a return email confirmed the ring was theirs with this message...

I'd love to be able to claim the ring. I've not had it in so long that I cannot even remember when I did have it last. What a wonderful opportunity awaits me, I hope.    I'm more than curious to know where it was located. 

So was I...curious to know where it was located.  Next step was to get the two connected.  So back to emails to both Finder and Lost-er...I know that's not a real word, but Loser was just so wrong.  But, before I could get back to Finder with the 'Good News' this email was waiting in my 'In Box'.

They can contact me,  but it might be awhile before I can get the ring to them.  My car was broken into and my purse stolen... it is being looked for, and I will keep them or you in the loop. I feel so bad to be so close to getting it to her and it's gone again... I can't even imagine how it got to my home! I found it out in the yard and right away looked into finding the rightful owner.  I pray it gets found along with my other personal effects.

WHAT!!!  Oh, No!  What a Lost-Found-Lost again twist!  So back to the Lost-er's email with the 'Bad News'.  That's where it ends...for now.  I can't help but wonder if the Lost-er may have jinxed the whole thing with, "What a wonderful opportunity awaits me, I hope." 

Or I may have been the jinxer with my reply to Finder's first email...

Thank you so much for your email.  I have messaged the person on our class roster whose initials fit the ones you found on the ring.  I will wait for a reply from them, and if the fit is right I will give them your contact information.  So nice of you to make the effort to get the ring to it's rightful owner.  We are a very close class and have been since our graduation in 1965, and I know if it were my ring, I would be ever thankful to you.  I hope together we will be successful.

Truly, if it were my ring, even at this stage in the 'Lost-Found-Lost' again, I would be so thankful and grateful to Finder for affirming my belief in the 'Good and Honesty' of mankind.  Just think, I would get to again, "Rejoice as Senior Rings arrive".
Fortunately for me and HiHoney (husband) our matching HS Senior Rings are safe in our shared High School Memory Box along with our yearbook and the picture that marks the arrival of the Class of 1965's Senior Rings.  HiHoney got to see his first...he is in the picture...1st guy on the left. 
I hope our Classmate gets to "Rejoice Again".

3 comments:

  1. Speaking of class rings, one my lovely kids buried mine in the backyard for an unsanctioned "treasure hunt." Luckily, part of the ring was exposed in the dirt and I was able to find and rescue it. I was not so lucky with other pieces of fine jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like they were practicing Pirates. Thankfully you were a good treasure hunter to find your ring. Who knows, maybe the rest of you jewelry will be found someday...like my classmates ring.

      Delete
  2. Sorry that ring is lost again, but, hope the lady gets her purse back, with the contents. Probably not likely, since it most likely ended up in a dumpster somewhere. I had a purse stolen, back at Glenn Jr High, with my mother's special ring in it, from her father.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.